It’s that time again! With everyone setting New Years’ Resolutions, the real question is, which ones will actually stick?
Here, we’re offering a quick New Years’ Resolution Guide with simple tips to help you stay on track with your goals. Let’s go!
Start with your mindset.
If you’re not in the right state of mind when you start working toward your New Years’ Resolutions, you’ve already lost. In fact, your mindset is the single most important factor in the success or failure of reaching your goals.
You need to understand why you’re setting these goals in the first place and you need to fully commit to achieving those goals, prioritizing them above all else. Getting into this kind of mindset takes a while, so work on your start of mind first before taking your next step.
Tools like meditation and visualization can help you tap into the OOMPH Champion mindset and put you in a much better position to reach your goals.
Set realistic goals.
Once you start setting your New Years’ Resolutions, make sure they’re achievable and realistic. Start slow and work your way up toward loftier goals.
In general, a good goal-setting tool is to use the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of the time you’re fully on your game but the other 20% of the time, it’s ok if you fall off the wagon. It helps you maintain balance while working towards your goals in a realistic, sustainable way.
Then, over time, you can increase this ratio to 90/10 where a solid majority of the time you’re eating well, exercising regularly, and truly taking care of yourself. But, at the same time, during holidays and celebrations, you give yourself the flexibility to enjoy life to the fullest.
Find the right support.
Having a support system in your corner is key when working toward a new goal. In other words, when you try to go at it alone, you’re more likely to get de-motivated and let your New Years’ Resolutions fall away.
We all need accountability to help us stay motivated towards reaching our goals. Sharing your plans with friends and family who can give you the extra push you need when the going gets tough can often make or break whether or not your goals stick.
Follow a plan.
Sure, you can wing it when it comes to setting goals but it’s probably not going to last very long. Without a plan, you can’t track your progress and there’s no way of knowing whether you’re actually improving or not.
While, again, you’ll want your New Years’ Resolutions to be realistic and sustainable, following a plan means that you know what you’re aiming for. Plans also help you readjust your goals if it’s simply too much or if you’re ready to amp up the intensity.
With a plan, you’re also freeing up some mental space for yourself. You won’t have to re-evaluate the plan every day because you’ll have a structure to follow. All of these factors can help your New Years’ Resolutions to stick for the long run.
Take it one day at a time.
When working toward a New Years’ Resolution, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. So, to avoid losing motivation due to feeling like it’s all too much, it’s so important to take things one day at a time.
Try not to think too much about the big picture and simply put your best foot forward with every step you take. Focus on each decision, one at a time.
Do I go to the gym before work? Yes.
Do I skip the fast food and cook myself a meal? Yes.
Should I read instead of watching Netflix before bed? Yes.
Get back on the horse.
And finally, it’s so important to always get back on the horse. Expect that there will be days where you fall off the horse and fall into old habits. It’s only natural and you’re only human. So, instead of feeling guilty, go easy on yourself. All you have to do is simply get back on the horse.
It’s so common for people to throw the baby out with the bathwater and give up when they make one mistake. So, the quicker you can accept whatever happened and get back on track, the faster you’ll begin to create new habits and reach your goals.
What’s your New Years’ Resolution? Use these tips to help them stick!